This is a small compilation of creative solutions that I have used in my kitchen.
1. Are you tired of tea strainers that often leave bits of tea leaves swimming in your mug? Try using a folded coffee filter instead. That’s what I came up with when I wanted a nice cup of tea without the mess:-)
2. Cooking beans can leave white stains on your pots and pans. Pour some distilled white vinegar into your pot, let it be for about ten minutes, try if it has dissolved with a dish brush. If not, keep it longer. Wash as usual. You can use white vinegar for cleaning your electric kettle too.
3. Keep your wrapped butter in a container after opening to prevent it from absorbing all kinds of fridge odours.
4. If you’re not sure about the freshness of eggs, put them in water – the bad ones float.
5. Rinse and soak rice to reduce cooking time while you prepare and cook other ingredients.
6. Ripen avocado – place it in a bowl/paper bag with bananas or apples.
7. Do you want better tasting tomatoes? Don’t store them in the fridge. Have them on the kitchen counter etc.
8. Do you need to freshen your mouth? Suck on a slice of cucumber.
9. Need to peel tomatoes? Cut little crosses into them, place in a bowl and pour boiled water to cover them. Put a lid on and after a few minutes you should see the skins opening up. Drain the water, pour some cold on and you can start peeling.
10. How to open a coconut? Drain the coconut water first through the holes (eyes) and then use a hammer along the central line until it cracks open.